Shutterfly

Sunday, May 6, 2012

one.

We celebrated Joel's first birthday last weekend.  I can't believe our baby boy is ONE already!  This past year has gone so fast, and I have loved watching him grow from a tiny newborn into a little boy.
We're still holding steady at seven teeth, and he will eat anything he can get his hands on!  I'm so glad he's not a picky eater...we can take him anywhere and he's satisfied with whatever we put in front of him.  We started whole milk a couple weeks before his birthday and he has transitioned really well.  He drinks 3-4 bottles each day, but has started drinking from a sippy cup and is not so picky about which one he uses! 
Joel really doesn't want anything to do with walking, because he crawls faster than lightning.  I think he wonders why he should bother!  He does cruise from the coffee table to the couch and pulls himself up to everything, but he doesn't have much of an interest in putting his feet on the floor when we try to help him walk.  I'm okay with that if it means he's still a baby :)
Joel is becoming more and more aware of his surroundings and feelings of others.  He loves to be outside.  He will sit and run his fingers and toes through the grass for long periods of time.  He likes to watch us play ball in the yard and he giggles like crazy when we chase it together. 
He has a bit of a temper and will bang his head off the floor when something doesn't go his way {I swear he doesn't get that from me!}  He and Daniel are still the best of buds...they lay on the floor and play together every day after school.  He will crawl right up next to Daniel and lay his head down on the pillow and pretend to sleep.  Too cute!
*****
We had Joel's party at our house the day before his actual birthday.  All of his grandparents, two great grandmas, aunts, uncles, and cousins were here, and it was great fun!  We decorated and set everything up in the garage, and it worked out perfect for that many people to celebrate!  His party was inspired by the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  I put a twist on a few ideas from Pinterest and also added a few of my own ideas into the mix. 
Goody bags filled with mini m&m's, button candy, silly straws, bubbles, and fruit stickers

The art teacher {and friend} at my school made this sweet poster!
Hungry Caterpillar labels for the soda bottles and sparkly lemonade with plastic ice cubes...and a snapshot of the food table :) 
Cutest birthday cake. Ever. He loved it! 
We had everyone write a note to Joel to put in his time capsule for his 18th birthday : )

Joel loved his balloon!
We met family at Bob Evans for his birthday breakfast.  He got his first ever kids meal, Little Farmer's Breakfast.  He enjoyed pancakes, scrambled eggs, home fries, and bacon!   That evening he got his very own vanilla baby cone and loved it!  Afterwards, I cleaned him up with a wipe and he went crazy scrubbing the table with it when I was done.  It was so funny...he giggled the whole time!


Cute!
Brothers :)

love this picture.

He was DONE!







5 comments:

  1. This brought tears to 'Gee's eyes, what a beautiful little Grandson he is! We love him and big brother to pieces! Thanks for sharing his special times with us! Love you all! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the party ideas and really love the time capsule idea! Wish I would have thought of that when Braylon was a baby! I also really love the crying picture...I think everyone should have a crying picture from their first birthday! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We did the time capsule for Daniel, too...and I am so glad I did! You could start something on Braylon's next birthday, it would still be fun :)
      I had to keep the crying picture, because he was so done with me taking pictures and was ready for his nap!! :)

      Delete