Shutterfly

Monday, October 29, 2012

From little things, big things grow...

So, I've been back from Allume since Saturday night.  I knew I wouldn't be ready to  write when I got home at 10pm, but my plan was to carve a bit of time in my day yesterday to get my words out.  The truth is, I had so many thoughts spinning through my brain that I couldn't find the words....or the time. 
But...as I was mixing orange cupcakes {praying we didn't lose power before they were finished baking - prayers answered!} and making cinnamon-sugar toast for Joel's lunch, it hit me like a ton of bricks.  Today is Joel's 18-month birthday.  Eighteen, as in a year and a half.  I. Can't. Believe. It. I knew it was coming, but I didn't wake up today thinking today is Joel's 18-month birthday.  Then Daniel came in and asked to lick the bowl {don't worry, I used Sierra Mist - no eggs involved!}  As he was licking the orange goodness from the spoon, he mumbled "mmm...this tastes like Nammy's orange cookies."  First of all, he was about Joel's age when she passed away so he has no recollection of her orange cookies...just my aunt's version that she bakes every time he goes to their house.  But that little conversation reminded me that today would have also been my grandma's birthday.  I'm not good with remembering how old she would have been {81, I think?  It's been nine years since she's been gone}, but I do remember how much I loved that woman to pieces and miss her so much I can't stand it sometimes.

All of that to say I was reminded of Saturday morning's keynote delivered by Darren Rowse {@problogger}..."From little things, big things grow."  I was reminded to stop comparing myself with others and to compare myself to me when I began my own blogging journey. From little things, big things grow.  This little quote is so true of our everyday lives.

Relationships begin with a smile.
From little things, big things grow.
 Every life begins as a tiny egg.
From little things, big things grow.
Each flower starts as a tiny seed.
From little things, big things grow.

 And, so I must remember this...if I've only reached one other person with my blog, it is big enough.  I am so thankful to have spent the weekend at Allume with great women who share my passion as a writer.  I hope that our friendships will grow beyond the walls of the Hilton Hotel and that  from little things, big things will grow.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know...I could have listened to that Australian accent all day! :)

      Delete
  2. So beautiful and a great take away! I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moment with your son brought tears to my eyes. My mom was just diagnosed with cancer, and my own grandma is very dear to me. Have you ever shared the recipe for Nammy's orange cookies with Sierra Mist? I'd love to try them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your mom...prayers for your family!! We were making plain ole orange cupcakes, but I used a can of Sierra Mist instead of adding eggs, oil & water. I don't have the actual recipe for the cookies :(

      Delete
  4. Hello sweet sister! Miss you so much already. It is so amazing how much someone, that you just met, can leave their imprint on your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...you're so kind! I can't believe it's been almost a week since Allume! :)

      Delete